Monday, August 17

insomnia, writing, coffee, bad spelling, life.

face of insomnia, grey streak i've had since sixteen, included.

Had the most intense two weeks of creative day and insomniac nights writings followed by silly bouts of tweeting... sometimes you go with what is... even as sleep calls, and the hours and days blend.
It was, for me, amazing to feel/see words unfold into another...
inspiration, instead of my own clumsy forced hand. not saying the words are perfect yet.. the action of creating was divine, and after a mid summer malaise, just the ticket out of the doldrums...
writing uber personal stories, created for yourself, but possibly for public consumption, is scary. that's why i've always appreciated a good singer/songwriter. not only do they write the words, they then perform them. acapella sometimes.
i remember losing muy respect points for a guy i'd dated when he told me he didn't care to do a singer in the round type thing ever, because he needed his (cover?!) band behind him to fully feel his sexuality. huh? (i digress, i feel you should just be your artist self... not be the image of what you think an artist is..)
creation is at it's most beautiful, raggged, bare and stripped of the pretty garnish we sweeten the soundtrack with.
ps. i really dislike brittany spears' voice, it's akin to a soprano sax to my ear. catchy pop, tho.

pps...i 'm in my over rewrite stage on a few things. i encourage you to finish any creative projects you've left half finished or never started.... and if you already do thid w/ aplomb, you get to feel superiour, and i am but a gopi in adrift, at sea.

now i am drained. like this bee... he looks like he's got that end of summer thing going on, don't ya think?

hubbang inub thubbre buubee

5 comments:

  1. Yeah Rachel i think i saw something on your myspace about you writing a script,so i guess that's what your talking about right?...I'll love to know what it's about,an i know how it is when your up at night with creative juice flowing,cuz that's how it is when i'm drawing something,you get that pic in your head,an you just don't stop antill you get it out,but over time you get use to staying up all night...an then that becomes a part of you i guess,like me,i can't go to sleep like talking about,see i have to get up for work at 6:00am,an i'll go to sleep at like 1:00am or 2:00am,that from me drawing alnight...i don't know insomnia right,but i think it's just the ways of a creative mind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If actresses didn't play the victim there wouldn't be a Hollywood. So to beat one's self up because one is couched in a role in which there isn't any alternative is being unfair to one's self. Captain Kangaroo could not play anything else. For the actress babes it is the "Speilberg Syndrom" scantily clad beaut is on the rack about to be roasted. What could be any better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog. I've recently become a fan of yours by watching reruns of Half & Half. About this post, I had some serious insomnia last Summer while writing my doctoral dissertation. I would begin working sometime after 8 pm because my wife was pregnant, and she would sleep about this time. I would write, write, write, and then I would go get some food in the wee hours of the morning for my wife (and I). Then I hit my "second wind" at 2 or 3 am. I stayed awake consistently until the sunrise. When the Olympics came on, I was up watching live events on Chinese time. Do what you do, but it's important to write. When you have to be out and up and go somewhere daily, the insomnia will break hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't sleep either. I hope you find some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insomniacs tend to be the most creative people or creative people tend to be insomniacs. : )

    I apologize that I'm not aware of what your creative instincts are as far as writing is concerned (your blogs notwithstanding). Novelist, poet, screenwriter, songwriter...??

    If any of the above (or a type of writer I may have missed) does your creative industry of choice support women and people of color?

    I have the cure for women and people of color in the film industry from screenwriters, directors, producers, cinematographers, actor/tress, and all points in between if there is an interest in taking on the challenge. If not my cure is useless.

    Rachel thanks for being here and open to discourse.

    ReplyDelete